Who We Are
B. Ben Mohandesi Download vcard
educationUniversity of California, Los Angeles, 1997, B.A.
Loyola Law School, 2001, J.D.
Ben is a litigator with extensive experience representing national, regional, and local clients in state and federal courts. He has represented clients in jury and bench trials, as well as arbitrations and administrative trials. In recent years, Ben has increasingly focused his practice on defending financial institutions against individual and class actions involving consumer rights claims, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Ben has also successfully represented numerous national retailers in class actions under California’s Unfair Competition Law and Consumer Legal Remedies Act.
Prior to forming Yu | Mohandesi, Ben was with Reed Smith LLP, where his practice focused on financial services litigation, employment litigation and product liability litigation. In addition to managing cases for clients throughout the country, Ben was an integral member of multiple trial teams, including a team that defended a pharmaceutical company in a nationally coordinated product liability action. Moreover, as a unique supplement to his extensive work for clients as outside counsel, Ben also served as in-house counsel for Honda North America, where he managed consumer and employment litigation throughout the country.
A small sampling of Ben’s successful representative matters include:
- Defended hundreds of consumer claims, including claims based on the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and their state law equivalents in various jurisdictions throughout the country
- Prevailed in a jury trial involving breach of contract and fraud allegations
- Prevailed in a bench trial on behalf of an employer defending a wage and hour lawsuit
- Obtained dismissal of a class action alleging unfair business practices, unfair advertising, and violations of the Consumer Legal Remedies Act against national retailer
- Coordinated litigation strategy, discovery management and trial preparation in nationwide pharmaceutical product liability action with over 5,000 plaintiffs
- Defended wage and hour class action against state-wide retailer
- Successfully represented mortgage originator in an administrative trial
- Defended and obtained dismissal of a product defect claim against automobile seat manufacturer
- Successfully defended appeal involving a fee dispute between law firms
- Represented and advised national retailer in regulatory enforcement actions alleging environmental violations
- Litigated numerous employment actions, including sexual harassment, breach of employment agreement, wrongful termination, discrimination and wage disputes
- Assisted and advised numerous employers with claims before the Labor Commissioner