Who We Are
Pavel Ekmekchyandownload vcard
educationUniversity of California, Los Angeles, 1999, B.A. (Summa cum laude)
University of California, Los Angeles, 2002, J.D.
Pavel’s practice focuses on general commercial litigation with an emphasis on representing financial institutions. Besides regularly practicing in California state and federal courts, Pavel has also managed litigation nationwide. Pavel has litigated international business disputes, consumer class actions, and financial services actions, and has represented banking institutions, international conglomerates, national and regional retailers, medical device and pharmaceutical companies, as well as small and mid-size businesses. Pavel represents clients in all stages of litigation from pleadings through discovery, dispositive motions, and trial.
In addition to his commercial and financial litigation practice, Pavel spent more than two years on secondment with the Legal Department of Bank of America. In that role, Pavel managed a portfolio of hundreds of cases and worked with different outside counsel throughout the nation to successfully defend and resolve these matters. He also managed a team of attorneys representing lenders, investors, servicers and subservicers in mortgage and credit card litigation portfolios in California.
Prior to joining Yu | Mohandesi, Pavel was a partner with Reed Smith LLP, where he focused his practice on financial services and commercial litigation, representing national banks, servicers, credit card companies and national retailers. Pavel has also been involved in advising line of business clients in compliance matters.
A small sampling of Pavel’s successful representative matters include:
- Successfully defended and favorably resolved a class action against the operating subsidiary of a national bank alleging violations of California’s unfair competition law and the Consumer Legal Remedies Act
- Tried case to verdict and post-judgment victory in a partnership dispute
- Tried case to jury verdict for health spa client in a commercial lease dispute
- Tried case to jury and obtained a favorable settlement for client before closing arguments in a case involving ownership dispute of a one of a kind racecar
- Successfully obtained orders appointing receivers in several multi-million dollar judicial foreclosure matters for commercial/construction lending client
- Managed portfolios of litigated cases for multi-state retailer of consumer goods
- Managed portfolios of West Coast litigated cases for private label credit card issuer involving debt collection, credit reporting, TCPA and other consumer protection statutes
- Successfully resolved lawsuit against financial institutions involving complex issues of real property title transfers
- Successfully defended financial institutions in suits by property preservation vendors in disputes involving payment of invoices and scope of work performed
- Obtained dismissals in numerous mortgage-related lawsuits for banking clients
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice for a shipping company in California district court in an action by a Chinese furniture manufacturer alleging violations of the Carriage of Goods by Sea Act, negligence, intentional and negligent misrepresentation, concealment, false promise, conversion, and unfair competition
- After months of heavy litigation, obtained a voluntary dismissal with prejudice for a manufacturer of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) devices in a patent infringement action
- Prevailed on summary judgment against plaintiffs’ claims for violation of Section 1983 of the Civil Rights Act in connection with plaintiffs’ participation in the Occupy Fights Foreclosure movement and protest against national bank’s foreclosure and eviction activities
- Successfully resolved Unruh Act claims against national retailer of sporting goods
publications"Chew Over Raw Material Design Defects," Daily Journal, 30 September 2015
Co-Author(s): Marilyn A. Moberg, Veronica Kuiumdjian